Friday 24 July 2009

Spuds - In with the old, out with the new!




Found some old & wrinkly spuds in the shed, left over from the spring planting. Stuck them in to see how they go as everyone seems to be going mad on new spuds for Christmas. No way am I paying the catalogue prices, not lost anything if these don't grow.

Tried the Kestrel spuds, look like my best crop ever. The two shown weigh 2lb 7 ozs between them. Not one slug hole in the lot. (Must be those blue things I buried with the horse poo!).

2 comments:

Mal's Allotment said...

Don't know where you find the energy DD! will be watching for the results of you 'late' potatoes. Any I have left have 2ft long sprouts!

I'll be growing caulis for the first time in years next year as my brassica patch has done well this year. Which do you think is the best (surefire) variety to start with?

Digger Dave said...

Sorry, not doing too well. Missed this one also.

Try "Clapton" especially if you've a rick of club root. These are the best I've ever managed to grow on my club root riddled ground. They are more expensive than others, but in my case well worth it.

"Nautilus" also did well as they are a very early variety and matured before the club root reallu got going for the season.