Wednesday 25 March 2009

More Progress


Not quite as an intense day as yesterday, but we're going in the right direction. Despite the winds I braved it to the plot this afternoon. Managed to put in about 200onion sets & two rows of Paris Silverskin Onions, (seed). If these and the shallots produce well, there'll be a lot of tears at pickling time!

My intention today would have been to sow the parsnips, but with this wind it would have been broadcast sowing!

I've mentioned before about my heritage pea seed. One is called "Parsley" (pictured), because of it's unusual tendrils and the other "Stokesely" after the family who donated the seed to the Hertiage Seed Library.

I did have another "Gladstone", but the small row I was growing for seed was decimated by pigeons last year after they got under the nets. I managed to find ONE pea on the floor which I've sown in a pot today. I've no idea if it's viable or not, but it would be interesting to see if I can rescue this variety. (A lot were sent back to the Seed Library the first year I had them, so someones still got some). If it grows we'll see how many we can turn it into in a couple of years!

No comments: